Friday, October 31, 2008

It's Not Only Chocolate That Kills Are Pets

Don't Let Halloween Kill the Family Dog - HandicappedPets.com Posts Xylitol Health Alert for Canines


Don't leave Halloween goodies within reach of the family dog - they may contain xylitol, a common sweetener that can be toxic for canines.

Amherst, NH, October 31, 2008 --(PR.com)-- HandicappedPets.com posts a xylitol health alert page on their website (www.HandicappedPets.com) to educate dog caretakers of the potential danger to their canines of this common sweetener. Xylitol, an all-natural sugar substitute, is increasingly found in many human food products, especially chewing gum and candy. While xylitol is safe for humans, it can be deadly for dogs. Just two or three sticks of gum sweetened with xylitol can be toxic to a 20-pound dog.

Veterinary findings show that xylitol can cause hypoglycemia in dogs, which may be severe. Clinical signs of xylitol toxicity may develop just 30 minutes after ingestion and may include vomiting, ataxia (uncoordinated movements), lethargy, and seizures. Liver dysfunction and/or failure may also occur.

In cases of xylitol ingestion, a veterinarian should be contacted immediately. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435 has excellent information in cases of xylitol ingestion and is open 24 hours a day; they may charge a $60 consultation fee.

Check Halloween loot! Dog caretakers are advised to look for xylitol in the fine print ingredient list of consumer products and to take extra care that their dogs do not have access to them. Make sure the holiday is safe for all family members – even the rascals with four legs.

###



HandicappedPets.com provides everything – products, services, and support – pet caretakers need to help their disabled, injured, or elderly pets enjoy healthy, happy, active lives. www.HandicappedPets.com (888) 811-PETS.


Contact Information
HandicappedPets.com
Lisa Murray
603-577-8854
Lisa@HandicappedPets.com
HandicappedPets.com

1 comment:

Desheddimg said...

I had no idea that sweeteners could be harmful to pets. I try to avoid anthing with sweeteners anyway but now I will be more careful.