Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Not All Gum Is Safe For Your Dog To Eat, Some Might Even Be Toxic

I came across a great article that explains about a type of sugar free gum that just might be too toxic for your dog to eat. There happens to be an additive to the gum which is called Xylitol that is a white crystalline substance that looks and tastes like sugar.

After a couples two dogs consumed a pack of this gum the woman became concerned and called her vet to see if it was alright. Well that wasn’t the answer she received from the vet.

Dr. Austin Neely said: A lot of people are familiar with things like chocolate toxicity but you actually have to give your dog a lot of chocolate to make them sick…whereas for some small dogs…one or two pieces of regular chewing gum can be enough to show toxic signs.

I don’t know about you, but I will be making sure that there is no gum of any kind laying around in my home and be checking everything for this product.

Read the article by Jane Slater here.

No comments: